About Dr. Samir P. Patel
Samir P. Patel, D.O. is the founder and CEO of Arizona Pain Care Center, an interventional spine and pain management facility located in Oro Valley, Arizona since 2009. Dr. Patel is double board certified in anesthesiology and pain medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Board of Medical Specialties.
After earning his undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, Dr. Patel went on to medical school at Kirksville, Missouri. He then completed an internship at Sun Coast Hospital in Largo, FL. Dr. Patel completed an anesthesiology residency and pain management fellowship at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida.
Dr. Patel believes in learning and spent time working as a Courtesy Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Florida before starting private practice. Dr. Patel pursues additional training and education in the latest spine and pain management technology attending pain conferences across the nation and bringing home the newest, most innovative practices for his patients. He practices anesthesiology on occasion.
In his spare time, Dr. Patel enjoys spending time with his family and watching sports. He is a huge Virginia Cavalier and Florida Gator fan.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- D.O. – Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, MO
- Internship (Traditional Rotating) – Sun Coast Hospital, Largo, FL
- Residency (Department of Anesthesiology) – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Fellowship (Department of Anesthesiology/Pain Division) – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Professional Membership – North American Neuromodulation Society, and Florida Osteopathic Medical Association
About Dr. Chad Pletnick
Chad Pletnick, M.D. joined Dr. Patel as a partner of Arizona Pain Care Center in 2017. Dr. Pletnick is also board certified in both anesthesiology and pain medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. After earning his undergraduate degree as a Guthrie Scholar from Wilkes University in Wilkes Barre, PA, Dr. Pletnick went on to medical school at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. He then completed an internship at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. Dr. Pletnick completed an anesthesiology residency at the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ and a pain management fellowship at Duke University in Durham, NC.
Dr. Pletnick is an educator in his field, having worked as an Associate Professor of Anesthesiology at the University of Arizona. Occasionally, he still practices anesthesiology at the University of Arizona, while teaching anesthesiology residents.
Dr. Pletnick is also a leader in the field of neuromodulation and works as an instructor for Stimwave, educating physicians around the country about the latest techniques in both spinal cord stimulation and peripheral nerve stimulation. It is Dr. Pletnick’s leadership and expertise that has made Arizona Pain Care Center a Stimwave Center of Excellence.
In his spare time, Dr. Pletnick enjoys spending time with his wife and sons. You may also find him watching sports, playing sports, hunting, or capturing images of the night sky through his telescope.
Education and Training
- B.S. in Biology – Wilkes University, Wilkes Barre, PA
- M.D. – Drexel University, College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Internship (Internal Medicine) – St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ
- Residency (Department of Anesthesiology) – University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Pain Medicine Fellowship (Department of Anesthesiology) – Duke University Hospital, Durham, NC
- Professional Membership – American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, North American Neuromodulation Society, and Arizona Society of Anesthesiologists
About Shannon Morgenstern
Shannon Morgenstern joined Dr. Patel and Dr. Pletnick as a provider in 2020. Shannon, as you may call her, is a board-certified Family Nurse Practitioner and is passionate about living life fully and helping her patients to do the same. She has a special interest in pain management, holistic health, and educating patients.
After earning her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Communications from Hope College in Holland, Michigan, Shannon went on to attain a Masters in Nursing from the University of Phoenix as a Family Nurse Practitioner. She brings experience in intensive care, orthopedics, rheumatology, mental health, substance abuse, pediatrics, and dermatology to Arizona Pain Care Center.
Shannon’s education and training lends itself to utilizing a multi-modality philosophy, and employing creative approaches to understand, treat, as well as cope with pain. “I usually refer to it as a ‘piece of the pain pie’ in terms of what is causing pain and what can help. It usually requires understanding the slices of the contributing factors as well as the relieving factors.” Other times it can be very simple; we understand what works and we can get it done. Shannon is great at making you feel at ease and will work alongside you, coordinating with our team of providers to navigate your individual treatment plan.
Outside of the office, Shannon enjoys being a mother, travel, good food, photography, dance, and playing/singing music.
Education and Training
- B.A. in Psychology and Communications – Hope University, Holland, MI
- Master’s in Nursing – University of Phoenix
- Certifications: Botox for Migraines, prolotherapy adipose transfer, stem cell/exosome therapy
- Professional Membership: ANA, SAZNP, Board Certified AANP Family Nurse Practitioner, Sigma Theta Tau honor society, Phi Theta Kappa
About Katherine Grimes
Katherine Grimes joined the Arizona Pain Care Center family in January 2022. She is a board-certified nurse practitioner through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) who takes pride in building relationships with her patients.
She obtained her undergraduate degree through Chamberlain University. She then continued and completed her Master’s in Science of Nursing and became certified as a nurse practitioner in 2020.
Katherine’s experience in the medical field includes acute and subacute rehab, inpatient and outpatient psych, dementia care, pediatrics, nursing management, medical/surgical intensive care, orthopedics, long term care, neurology, and home health. She brings a varied and diverse background that will complement our provider team’s multi-modal approach to interventional pain management.
In her spare time, Katherine enjoys camping, hunting, traveling, working on various projects, and spending time with her family.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Chamberlain University
- Master of Science in Nursing – Chamberlain University
- Certification: Board Certified ANCC Family Nurse Practitioner
- Professional Membership – American Nurse Association (ANA), Southern Arizona Advanced Practice Nurse-Nurse Practitioner Society
About Rebecca Shiao
Rebecca (Chia-li) Shiao joined Arizona Pain Care Center in April 2023. She is a board-certified family nurse practitioner through the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). She is passionate about providing holistic and individualized pain management to help patients regain function and improve their quality of life.
She graduated with a Bachelor of Nursing degree and a minor in piano performance from the University of Arizona in 2018. She went on to complete her Doctorate as a Family Nurse Practitioner at the University of Arizona in 2022. Rebecca’s medical background includes working in surgery, cardiology, and Covid inpatient wards.
In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys being with her husband and family, attending her church, playing badminton, playing music, and eating good food.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – University of Arizona
- Doctorate of Nursing Practice, Family Nurse Practitioner – University of Arizona
- Certification: Board Certified AANP Family Nurse Practitioner
- Professional Membership- American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
About Patricia Bonasera
Patricia Bonasera is a board-certified nurse practitioner. She takes pride in establishing a trusting relationship with her patients through open communication and compassion. Patricia’s ideal patient is fully invested in decision-making and motivated to improve their quality of life as much as she is eager to help them. As a nurse practitioner, Patricia finds a special interest in assisting patients to achieve their personal goals in spinal health. She wants to ensure her patients get the proper treatment that brings them back to enjoying their daily lives.
After earning her Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Patricia went on to obtain her Master of Science in Nursing Administration and Leadership. She then pursued a Post-Masters of Science in Nursing to become an Adult Geriatric-Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. She brings a decade of cumulative experience in orthopedic spine surgery, emergency, neurology, and trauma nursing care to Arizona Pain Care Center.
Patricia spends her free time with her husband and two young sons, traveling, getting outdoors, and going to the gym.