About Dr. Samir P. Patel
Samir P. Patel, D.O. is the founder and CEO of Arizona Pain Care Center, an interventional spine and pain management facility located in Oro Valley, Arizona since 2009. Dr. Patel is double board certified in anesthesiology and pain medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Board of Medical Specialties.
After earning his undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, Dr. Patel went on to medical school at Kirksville, Missouri. He then completed an internship at Sun Coast Hospital in Largo, FL. Dr. Patel completed an anesthesiology residency and pain management fellowship at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida.
Dr. Patel believes in learning and spent time working as a Courtesy Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Florida before starting private practice. Dr. Patel pursues additional training and education in the latest spine and pain management technology attending pain conferences across the nation and bringing home the newest, most innovative practices for his patients. He practices anesthesiology on occasion.
In his spare time, Dr. Patel enjoys spending time with his family and watching sports. He is a huge Virginia Cavalier and Florida Gator fan.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- D.O. – Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, MO
- Internship (Traditional Rotating) – Sun Coast Hospital, Largo, FL
- Residency (Department of Anesthesiology) – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Fellowship (Department of Anesthesiology/Pain Division) – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Professional Membership – North American Neuromodulation Society, and Florida Osteopathic Medical Association
About Dr. Chad Pletnick
Chad Pletnick, M.D. joined Dr. Patel as a partner of Arizona Pain Care Center in 2017. Dr. Pletnick is also board certified in both anesthesiology and pain medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. After earning his undergraduate degree as a Guthrie Scholar from Wilkes University in Wilkes Barre, PA, Dr. Pletnick went on to medical school at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. He then completed an internship at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. Dr. Pletnick completed an anesthesiology residency at the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ and a pain management fellowship at Duke University in Durham, NC.
Dr. Pletnick is an educator in his field, having worked as an Associate Professor of Anesthesiology at the University of Arizona. Occasionally, he still practices anesthesiology at the University of Arizona, while teaching anesthesiology residents.
Dr. Pletnick is also a leader in the field of neuromodulation and works as an instructor for Stimwave, educating physicians around the country about the latest techniques in both spinal cord stimulation and peripheral nerve stimulation. It is Dr. Pletnick’s leadership and expertise that has made Arizona Pain Care Center a Stimwave Center of Excellence.
In his spare time, Dr. Pletnick enjoys spending time with his wife and sons. You may also find him watching sports, playing sports, hunting, or capturing images of the night sky through his telescope.
Education and Training
- B.S. in Biology – Wilkes University, Wilkes Barre, PA
- M.D. – Drexel University, College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Internship (Internal Medicine) – St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ
- Residency (Department of Anesthesiology) – University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Pain Medicine Fellowship (Department of Anesthesiology) – Duke University Hospital, Durham, NC
- Professional Membership – American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, North American Neuromodulation Society, and Arizona Society of Anesthesiologists
About Dr. Kayven Farshad
Dr. Farshad is double boarded in Anesthesiology and pain medicine.
Dr. Farshad was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona. He is honored to care for patients in southern Arizona in need of comprehensive pain management.
Dr. Farshad graduated from medical school at the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson. He then completed his residency in anesthesiology and fellowship in interventional pain management through the University of Arizona College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: BS, Physiology; University of Arizona; Tucson, Arizona
- Medical School: M.D. University of Arizona, College of Medicine; Tucson, Arizona
- Internship: Internal Medicine; University of Arizona; Tucson, Arizona
- Residency (Department of Anesthesiology/Pain Medicine)
Anesthesiology, University of Arizona;Tucson, Arizona
- Fellowship (Department of Anesthesiology/Pain Medicine)
Pain Management; University of Arizona; Tucson, Arizona
- Professional Memberships: Arizona Society of Anesthesiologists; American Society of Anesthesiologists; North American Neuromodulation Society
About Dr. Henry Wu
Henry Wu, MD/PhD joined the Arizona Pain Care Center team in 2021. Dr. Wu is both an anesthesiologist and a pain medicine specialist.
Dr. Wu is originally from Dallas, Texas, but he started his educational tour by earning his undergraduate BA degree at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. He returned to Texas to complete the Medical-Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at The University of Texas McGovern Medical School in Houston, TX. Upon obtaining his MD/PhD degrees, he moved westward to Phoenix, AZ to complete an internship at Maricopa Integrated Health Systems’ General Surgery program. He completed his residency training in anesthesiology at The University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ. And rounded out his extensive education by completing a fellowship in interventional pain management at The Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH.
During his time in Arizona, Dr. Wu fell in love with the people and the culture in the west/southwest region. He returned to Arizona following the completion of his fellowship with hopes to serve and improve the quality of life for the people suffering from chronic pain in the southwest region using the skills he acquired during his training.
As a pain medicine specialist, Dr. Wu has a strong desire to manage a variety of chronic pain symptoms. In addition to treating a multitude of pain diagnoses, Dr. Wu has special interests in treating patients afflicted with chronic regional pain syndrome, oromaxillofacial pain, and cancer-related pain.
In his spare time, Dr. Wu enjoys spending time with his family, grilling, building computers, fishing, and watching NBA and NFL games.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: BA, Biology. Washington University in St. Louis. St. Louis, MO.
- Medical-Scientist Training Program: MD/PhD. The University of Texas McGovern Medical School. Houston, TX.
- Internship (Department of Surgery): Maricopa Integrated Health Systems. Phoenix, AZ.
- Residency (Department of Anesthesiology): The University of Arizona/Banner University. Tucson, AZ.
- Interventional Pain Medicine Fellowship (Anesthesiology Institute – Department of Pain Medicine): The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Cleveland, OH.
- Professional Membership: Arizona Society of Anesthesiologists; American Society of Anesthesiologists.
About Shannon Morgenstern
Shannon Morgenstern joined Dr. Patel and Dr. Pletnick as a provider in 2020. Shannon, as you may call her, is a board-certified Family Nurse Practitioner and is passionate about living life fully and helping her patients to do the same. She has a special interest in pain management, holistic health, and educating patients.
After earning her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Communications from Hope College in Holland, Michigan, Shannon went on to attain a Masters in Nursing from the University of Phoenix as a Family Nurse Practitioner. She brings experience in intensive care, orthopedics, rheumatology, mental health, substance abuse, pediatrics, and dermatology to Arizona Pain Care Center.
Shannon’s education and training lends itself to utilizing a multi-modality philosophy, and employing creative approaches to understand, treat, as well as cope with pain. “I usually refer to it as a ‘piece of the pain pie’ in terms of what is causing pain and what can help. It usually requires understanding the slices of the contributing factors as well as the relieving factors.” Other times it can be very simple; we understand what works and we can get it done. Shannon is great at making you feel at ease and will work alongside you, coordinating with our team of providers to navigate your individual treatment plan.
Outside of the office, Shannon enjoys being a mother, travel, good food, photography, dance, and playing/singing music.
Education and Training
- B.A. in Psychology and Communications – Hope University, Holland, MI
- Master’s in Nursing – University of Phoenix
- Certifications: Botox for Migraines, prolotherapy adipose transfer, stem cell/exosome therapy
- Professional Membership: ANA, SAZNP, Board Certified AANP Family Nurse Practitioner, Sigma Theta Tau honor society, Phi Theta Kappa